Can Someone With An Overstay In Another Country Travel For Vacation Purposes?

My Korean friend overstayed in Canada last year for a really long time, something in the two or three year range. He had to go back to Canada because of being accused of domestic assault and because of the overstay. Will he have a problem traveling to the Philippines and getting a new Korean passport? He’s only going for a one week vacation. Any help is appreciated.