Education

· Through education, people acquire knowledge, skills, values and attitudes to improve their caliber of life, allow them to participate fully in the course of development and

enhance their productivity.

· Education facilities in the municipality includes a state university, 1 private technical-vocational school, 2 privately-owned and 5 public secondary schools, 1 private and 36 public

elementary/primary schools, and 4 pre-schools. Day care centers have also been set up in and around the municipality.

· There was an increased of about 4.39% in the level of enrollment in the primary/elementary schools from 9,855 students in SY 2007-2008 to 10,288 students in SY

2008-2009. Of the total enrollment, only 1.0% was enrolled in the private school, the rest or 99.0% were in the public schools.

· On the other hand, enrollment in the secondary level increased by 3.78%, from 3,731 students in SY 2007-2008 to 3,872 enrollees in SY 2008-2009, of which the 79.65%

were enrolled in the public schools while the 20.35% were into private schools.

· The dropout rate for SY 2008-2009 in the municipality is 1.34 percent for the elementary level and 4.26 percent for the secondary level.

· As of 2008, Brooke’s Point has 263 classrooms for primary/elementary and 84 for the secondary. However, there are 9 out of the 36 public primary/elementary and 4 out of 5

public secondary schools that do not meet the standard classroom-student ratio of 1:45. The classroom shortage may not be critical, but a crowded classroom is not

comfortable and not conducive to learning for the pupils, students and teachers.

· On the kind of construction materials used, 85% of primary/elementary and 87% of secondary schools are made of permanent construction materials such as cement, hollow

blocks, steel, wood and galvanized iron sheets. Generally, these schools are in good condition and are all functional except for some parts of school buildings like roofing, walls,

and windows that need repair and some educational facilities like chairs, desks and blackboard that need to be replaced and provided.

· All schools have comfort rooms, 24 have playgrounds, 17 have canteens, 11 have libraries, and 5 have clinics.

· Other facilities like Home Economics Room, learning area park, PTCA building, and stage are present in some schools.

· While there is relatively adequate number of teacher in the public secondary schools, about 9 out of the 36 public primary/elementary schools do not meet the standard

teacher-student ratio of 1:45.

· PARA-Teachers were employed by the Provincial and Municipal Government to supplement the need for additional teachers.

· The Palawan State University-Extramural Studies Center offers degree courses in the fields of education, business administration, hospitality management, computer science,

and technology courses. For the first and second semesters of SY 2008-2009, the bulk or 33% of enrollees are in business administration.

· On the other hand, the Southern Palawan Colleges, Inc. offers vocational courses that are accredited by the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA)

such as building wiring installation, caregiving, and personal computer operations. Majority of the students (52%) are taking up personal computer operations.

While the municipal government provided a scholarship program for poor but deserving students in secondary and tertiary-school level, DepEd launched the “vouchers

program” to encourage enrollment in private high schools.